Thursday, April 16, 2015

An Iraqi Evening:

I found the rhythm of this poem to be a little awkward. The first half of it, in my opinion, seemed to lack flow. By the second half, however, I understood it more. While reading it, the rhythm reminded me of a hiccup. That sounds really weird, but that's what I thought of. *2 minutes later* Okay, I just read it again. I don't think it's hiccuping anymore. Now it seems much more like breathing. Long line, short line *breath* Long line, short line, *breath* Three long line in a row, with an accelerando and crescendo, then a short line and a breath. It's very organic and natural.
This poem reminded me a lot of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved that book. It was terrifying and tragic, but still, somehow, hopeful. I remember reading it in Ms. Nicol's class, 10th grade, and I could not put it down. The poem and book are both set in similar areas, war-torn, middle eastern countries, brothers, sister, parents, war, devastation, but still underlying hope.

“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.” (Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury) Whenever I hear or see the word hope, I always, ALWAYS think of this quote. It is something that has stuck with me since reading The Sound and the Fury last year. I honestly don't think I will ever forget this quote, it is always fresh in my mind. It is so beautiful. The wording is so perfect and the sentiment is amazing. I just love it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment