Wednesday, April 8, 2015

To My Dear and Loving Husband

I found this poem to be very beautiful. I, surprisingly, expected this poem to go in a completely different direction. When I first read the title, I initially thought that their relationship would be opposite of "Dear" and "Loving". I assumed he was going to be oppressive and controlling and abusive. It's sad, really... Abuse and oppression seems, in my mind and experience, to be the norm. True love is rare. It was refreshing, to hear the poet speak in such a way. Their relationship is beautiful, if it is reality. I wonder if the poet's reality is that wonderful.
My favorite line from the poem is, "If ever two were one, then surely we." It reminds of the annoying phrase that people in relationships like to say, "he/she's my better half." That makes no sense. That saying implies that you are incomplete without the other person, which is really bad. You need be whole with or without your love. The way Bradstreet words it is much better. They are one, a unit.
I had to re-read the poem multiple times. I was having a hard time with the rhythm of the poem. It seemed a little off to me, in regard to flow. I had to keep reading it, over and over, and then it finally clicked. Now, when I read it, the rhythm is obvious and clear, but at first I was having a hard time.

No comments:

Post a Comment