Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Blog #12
WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer; 
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; 
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; 
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room, 
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;         5
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, 
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, 
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This poem uses many literary techniques, including alliteration, assonance, consonance, end-rhyme, imagery, metaphor, and repetition. An example of alliteration would be, "mystical moist." An example of assonance would be, "rising and gliding." Consonance, "mystical moist" I think that would be consonance, because they bot have "st" myst, moist... I'm not sure about that one. End-rhyme, "heard the learn'd." Imagery, "moist night air," "much applause." A metaphor in the poem is , "rising and gliding out." A person can't really glide. Repetition is big one. "When I" was said a lot. Just the word "when" was used at the beginning of 4 lines. Also, "time to time." The poet also repeats the ending " 'd" multiple times: "wander'd, learn'd, look'd."

No comments:

Post a Comment